Traditional monasteries are springing up here and there in France and the US, but this one is very active outside the walls.
From their website:
In our service to the Church, we have not sought to specialize; and in fact, our apostolates are varied:
- At the Abbey , families, pilgrims, retreatants, tourists, or the poor passing through are welcomed every day. Some come to talk, others to pray and meditate. Couples also come to discover and deepen conjugal spirituality.
- In the diocese of Carcassonne, in connection with the bishop and the priests, we ensure various ministries: celebration of the Mass; visits to hospitals and retirement homes; chaplaincy and catechesis; funerals, distribution of sacraments in neighboring villages...
- Throughout the year, canons are sent all over France for recollections, pilgrimages, youth camps, etc.
The video is in French, but, together with the above description, the visuals explain it all. Excellent singers, too.
- 1971: in Pontmain: consecration to Mary of the nascent Community.
- 1988: discovery of the canonical order, where is found our main intuition - to associate the pastoral life and the contemplative religious life.
- 1997: erection of the Community into an Abbey of pontifical right, according to the Rule of Saint Augustine. The name “Opus Mariae” is replaced by “Canons Regular of the Mother of God”.
- 2004: move to Lagrasse (diocese of Carcassonne).