- Have I stolen or accepted stolen goods?
- Have I cheated anyone of what I owe him or her?
- Am I lazy? Do I waste time at work or school?
- Do I gamble excessively?
- Do I share what I have with poor people and the Church according to my means?
- Have I copied or used pirated material: videos, music, software?
This is a Latin phrase meaning “what one has earned”. In the context of contract law, it means “reasonable value of services”. What does it mean in terms of the Catholic faith? Is there a zero measurement of what one has earned? Null is a merit, or, at least, not a demerit under the 7th Commandment.