As a tutor, I do not have to accept an objectionable reading list from an English department, school, school district, or state. From 2017 to 2018, I scrutinized more than 500 agents. Since then I have received many emails showing me the types of authors and the types of books agents are choosing. The ideology behind current reading lists is anti-male, anti-white, anti-American, anti-Catholic/Christian, anti-Western Civilization, and anti-tradition. It is a Marxist world view.
As a tutor, I do not have to give students poorly written material. An example is The Book Thief (2005). I read this long novel to help a 10th grader write an essay. I write crime fiction, and the genre dictates realism. Thief is young adult fiction, and the genre calls for inspirational content.
The theme of Thief is books and education will set you free from ignorance and prejudice, and the main character steals books or is given them for free. Her father approves of her reading. The main character and her father provide the only inspiration. However, the girl and her father are otherwise not likeable.
1) No one is likeable. They constantly swear, and the teaching nun is mean.
2) The novel is too depressing for a young person.
3) The author's train of thought frustrates the most willing and patient reader, causing him or her to reread to understand what is going on.
4) The author violates every principal of novel writing. For instance, he regularly inserts himself into the narrative by giving readers his interpretation of German history during the Nazi period.
5) The drawings are amateurish and have an opaque connection to the story.
As a tutor, I do not have to abandon the classics of Western literature.
The parents of my students are pleased.